Is your partner a New Zealand citizen/ resident or a holder of Work or Student visa? Do you wish to join your partner in New Zealand and live together? If you and your partner are in a genuine and stable relationship then you can apply for a work or resident visa based on your relationship.
What is a NZ Partnership Visa?
The NZ partnership visa category is applicable to partners of New Zealand citizens/ residents or temporary visa holders. The Partnership Visa allows the applicant to obtain either a residence visa or an open work visa. If granted a residence visa, the applicant can live, work and study in New Zealand indefinitely.
What type of relationship qualifies for a Partnership Visa?
To qualify for a Partnership visa, the applicant’s relationship with their supporting partner must be a genuine and ongoing. This means that you must have been living together as a couple, and your relationship must be exclusive and likely to last.
- Married couples
- In a civil union with an opposite or same-sex partner
- In a de facto relationship with an opposite or same-sex partner
- A couple who is not legally married or bound by a registered civil or de facto partnership but who can demonstrate that they are in a committed and durable relationship is eligible for benefits from the government.
What is the application process and how long does it take?
To apply for a NZ partnership visa, the visa application can be made online. As an applicant, you will have to prove that you have been living with your partner for at least 12 months (for partnership residence visa) and for 3-6 months (for partnership work or visitor visa). Living with the partner means sharing the same place of residence and not just spending time or communicating with each other.
Eligibility for Partnership Visa
- Present credible evidence for you and your partner.
- Both of you should have been living together
- The relationship is genuine
- The relationship is stable, exclusive, and long lasting
To apply for the partnership visa application along with the supporting documents and application fees need to be sent to or submitted to Immigration New Zealand.
The processing time of the visa depends on various factors like the mode of application or when the application is made.
How to prove a genuine and stable relationship?
To prove a genuine relationship while applying for a visa requires submission of proofs and evidence like:
- Statements or documents proving joint ownership of assets
- Financial documents in joint name
- Any communication addressed to both the partners
- Any other documents showing same address as evidence of living together
In case you do not have evidence to show join ownership or tenancy or if you have been not been living together for a period of time during the relationship, you can submit other alternative evidence of your relationship.
Separation periods can be accepted on a case to case basis, however it is recommended to seek professional advice on how to go ahead with the Partnership visa application.
How can we help?
Many couples who apply for a Partnership Visa mistakenly assume that the application process is simple and easy. In reality, it can be confusing, time-consuming, stressful, and expensive. Therefore, it is important to get help from an immigration specialist if you are planning on applying for a Partnership Visa.
We at EZY Immigration can provide expert advice and help you figure out your options for migrating to New Zealand, ensuring that your visa application is correct and complete – saving you frustration and unnecessary added expenses.